what we do help you manage/ support your/your childs diabetes
We provide the following support and services for all our childrens and families/carers
- Young people and their families are taught the skills and knowledge about diabetes and are encouraged to manage themselves with the support of the team.
- The team believes that the patient should be placed at the centre of all care.
- The team continues to develop a service that regards patients as partners in achieving the best possible outcomes for them as individuals.
Patient written information
Newly diagnosed children and young people are provided with an information pack, verbal and practical teaching.
The pack also includes information on:
- The basic of diabetes
- managing illness
- Sick day rules
- Managing hypoglycaemia
- Local parents support group and Diabetes UK.
Download your National Diabetes Audit.
- Leicester has had a long held involvement with it's Parent Support Group. A member of the MDT attends month each of their meetings. This is a forum for feedback on the service. The parents group has a website that provides basic information for the families and minute every meeting. In addition it provides a means of communication with our families outside of the clinical setting.
- The parents group run throughout the year a number of social events that the MDT attends as well as well supported summer residential camp that has been running for 29 years. Camp Charnwood. Members of the MDT actively participate in this camp with ongoing input and support.
The Leicester Children’s Hospital MDT takes part annually in the:
Diabetes Research - Clinical Trials
Leicester Children’s Hospital Paediatric Diabetes MDT are currently taking part in a number of national and international research projects, including:
- Food cues in obese adolescents
- ADDRESS 2
All of these studies are Co-ordinated via the MCRN and DRN Research Networks.
East Midlands Diabetes Network Representation
The MDT provides representation to the East Midlands Children and Young Peoples’ Diabetes Network.
Updated at 2014-02-13 13:50:57 by Shehnaz Jamal