Want to Stop Smoking?
Giving up smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health and reduce the risk of major complications later in life, especially if you have diabetes. If you want to control your diabetes rather than let it control you, stopping smoking is just as important as controlling your blood glucose, healthy eating and being active.
Every Cigarette costs 14 minutes of your life.
Helping you to Quit in Leicestershire: You can do it!!!
Giving up smoking is not an easy thing to do there are many ways available to help you quit within the NHS. You can call any of the help lines listed below for friendly advice and practical support in your area.
- Smoking Cessation Clinic: Diabetes and Endocrinology Department, Victoria building (2nd floor) LRI on Monday mornings. If you would like to quit and need help and support telephone: 0116 295 4141 for an appointment
- Leicester City: STOP can help anyone living or working in Leicester to stop smoking Tel: 0116 295 4141 or 07824 835 650
- Leicestershire and Rutland: county service Tel: 0845 045 28 28
- National Quitline Tel: 0800 169 0 169
- Texting GIVE UP with your full postcode to 88088
South Asian Tobacco Use
Did you know that chewing paan makes you five times more likely to develop oral/ mouth cancer? Isn't it time you stopped?
Whether you smoke cigarettes, bidi or the hookah, chew tobacco in paan or gutkha, the NHS smoke free website can help. For more details on the services offered including information and advice in different languages link to smokefree.nhs.uk
Do you want to stop smoking today?
Often people think about giving up but don’t get round to it for a number of reasons such as stress or because it has become a habit. If you are planning to stop smoking, think of practical ways that you can help yourself, there are many products out on the market to help you quit and there are many friendly help and advice lines to give you support and help you quit. Tell your friends and family you are planning to stop and ask for support.
There are many support groups and a new pill available on the market The Stop Smoking Pill is available in Leicester.
Download our Tabacco and you information leaflet
Nicotine Replacement Therapy
Nicotine replacement patches are available to people with diabetes on prescription, so if you are exempt from prescription charges you will be able to get nicotine replacement free. Remember that smoking is always harmful for everyone, but if you have diabetes the risk is much greater. Talk to your diabetes team about how we can support you to stop smoking. Stop smoking clinic
Smoking and Diabetes: Health Risks
- Smoking can increase your chances of developing Type 1 diabetes.
- If you already have diabetes whether it is Type 1 or Type 2 you run a higher risk of damaging blood vessels due to increased blood pressure, therefore you are more likely to suffer from heart disease, stroke and foot ulcers.
Obviously if you have diabetes these risks are in addition to the already harmful effects of smoking cigarettes which include:
- Chest diseases e.g. bronchitis and emphysema
- Lung cancer and asthma.
- Dull skin and wrinkles, as it reduces the amount of oxygen getting to the skin, accelerating ageing and making the skin look sallow.
- Bad breath, yellow fingers, teeth and lingering odours
The Benefits Of Stopping Smoking Are Immediate
Did you know…
- 20 minutes after you quit, your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
- After 24 hours , carbon monoxide has left your body and lungs start to clear themselves.
- Within 48 hours of your last cigarette, all traces of nicotine vanish.
- You will notice a greatly improved sense of taste, smell and should feel more energetic. Breathing will become easier and circulation better, hence you will find walking and running much less sluggish.
- Your breath won’t smell, your clothes won’t hold the stench of stale smoke.
- In the long term you are helping yourself by reducing your risk of serious conditions with diabetes related problems.
No Smoking Day is the UK's leading health campaign for smokers who want to stop. This website has all the information and resources you need to quit smoking or organise an event on No Smoking Day.(www.nosmokingday.org.uk)
DIabetes, Tabacco and You All you need to know
Leicestershire diabetes information leaflet Download Document